Last Battle

 






20th Mai, Urlandia River Encampment

My Dearest Matilda,

I asked the priest to write this for me. I hope you can find someone to read it to you.

The war is over, they say. We'll be coming home soon, but we still have to chase down the last few of the insurrection.

It has been a brutal few months. We lived like animals and fought without remorse. I hope to never see the like again.

This is a young man's game, and you well know that I no longer fit that description. Still, it be better for me to do this than our children.

You are my dearest beloved in all the world. I have no other desire in this life than to tend our garden and kiss our grandbabies.

I will see you soon if the gods smile on me.

You have my heart, Willhelm





22nd Mai, Urlandia River Encampment

Dear Matilda,

It is with deep sadness that I must tell you Willhelm was killed yesterday during an engagement with the enemy.

He fought bravely defending Prince Elbert from a determined cohort of spearmen.

Indeed, the Prince so loved Master Willhelm, that he held his hand and knighted him as he lay dying.

While it be cold comfort, you are now Lady Matilda. A guard of honor will lay Sir Willhelm to rest this afternoon.

I have included a lock of Sir Willhelm's hair so you may remember him with fondness.

May the gods of your land lay their blessings upon you and your children.

Yours Truly,

Benedict, Priest of the Circle of Oak






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Salvania

Unto the Grove

Dragon Ingot