Gerantus and the Yunni

 



(From the series "Gerantus and Pall")



The Yunni arrow was still quivering between Gerantus' feet. He dared not move or even blink.

"I mean no harm," he called into the forest. "I live nearby."

A crow somewhere above him called out, less strident than a moment earlier, a cross between a growl and a laugh.

Gerantus heard a soft rustle to his left, and a Yunni appeared from behind a shrub that should have never been able to conceal him. Gerantus was shocked how close the Yunni had come even after he was on guard.

The Yunni was small, about three feet high. He carried a bow that was at least four feet long. He had a quiver full of arrows, and one was already nocked.

"You have disturbed my father's rest," the Yunni said, looking at the clay pots filled with bones.

Gerantus looked at the pots and back at the Yunni. "I am sorry. My friend Pall said the owls told him about..." Gerantus nodded at the pots. "This. I came to see for myself."

The Yunni relaxed his stance just a bit. "Pall is the red dragon from the man-castle, yes?"

"Yes, he is my friend" Gerantus said, hoping to use Pall's friendship as a shield. "I am called Gerantus."

The Yunni regarded him for a long breath. "I am no longer named."

Gerantus knew next to nothing about Yunni culture. A few slurred tavern stories defined his entire expertise.

"I am sorry, but I do not know your ways," Gerantus said. "How might I address you?"

"I am called Crow Friend for now."

That sure seemed like a name to Gerantus. "I am happy to meet you, Crow Friend. Tell me, how can you lose your name?" He was hoping to keep the little archer busy thinking about topics other than killing him.

Crow Friend looked annoyed and glanced over at one of the urns. "My father's bones lie here." He pointed at the urn Gerantus had accidentally knocked over. "A Yunni man loses his name when his father dies. Same for a woman when her mother dies."

"That is very interesting," Gerantus said. Now he would have a tavern story of his own. 

If he lived long enough.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Salvania

Unto the Grove

The Message