Ruana Cloak


In a departure from my usual Land of Salvania art and stories, I am providing a quick tutorial on making a Ruana cloak. I've heard it called a "ranger cloak" too. 

You can see more about Ruana cloaks at Skill Tree here: https://youtu.be/dU1imeSWhQ4.

It's ridiculously easy to make, and I recommend this project for first-time crafters. Or, if you're in a hurry and you need something in 10 minutes, the Ruana cloak is the one for you.

Material

Go to your local thrift store and find some material you like. I used a throw blanket that reminded me of raw wool. It cost less than $2.00.

Pro Tip: My local Goodwill store runs 50% off specials each week for tags with a certain color. If you hit that magic tag color on your material, then it was meant to be. The gods are commanding you to do the project. Hey, I don't make the rules.

Measure

Decide how long you want the cloak. Since I used a small throw blanket, I didn't need to make any length changes. If your material is too long, start cutting.

My material was sized just right for me.

Fold

When you have the right overall size, fold the material twice.

Folded once.


Folded again.  My marker is on the corner to cut.


Mark

At the corner fold, mark a small circle. I used a small trash can to get the arc right.

Warning: my circle was too big after I unfolded the material. I'll use something like a small soup bowl next time. I'll wear my Skjoldeham Hood either under or over the cloak, so it's ok for now.



Cut

Cut out your arc. When you unfold the material, it will magically transform into a circle.

You now have a poncho. You can stop here if you want. Throw a belt on that bad boy and head for adventure.


I was tempted to keep the poncho look.  But no...


If you don't want a poncho, cut a line down the front. Now you have a Ruana cloak.



Use a brooch or cloak pin to dress it up and hold it together.

Toss it over one shoulder for a rakish look.

For a hood on your head, flip a flap.


Beautification

I ran a rustic (i.e., messy) spiral stitch along the cut edges using red embroidery thread. You can go wild at this stage, so do it!

I was aiming for a rough-and-ready outdoorsman look. I ain't no nobleman.

Make yours any way you like and have fun!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for Breakfast

Welcome to Salvania

Unto the Grove