DIY LARP Shield from a Boogie Board


This DIY will focus more on the final art steps, and less on the savage construction steps.

Each step has been faithfully copied from the ancient Elvenari scrolls at the White River scriptorium by Bard Galen in the fifth year of King Nordram.

 

Step 1: Slam thy boogie boards onto the rack under the shade of watching trees.

Tis ok to be rough. Verily, they like it that way.


(We have a “Buy Nothing” group in my area that you can use to offer free items you have and ask for free items you need. I got these from that group. Cost = zero!)





Step 2: Flay the skin right off to reveal the harsh truth underneath.

Slice deeply into the white, tender flesh and force thy straps all the way in.

Test thy adhesive (see green circles) to assure thy alabaster beauty will feel no pain.


(The brown leather strap is for my hand, and the black nylon strap is for my forearm. This view shows the outside of the shield. The black tape is reinforcing the area where the straps meet the cuts. The straps are glued to the outside of the shield.)





Step 3: Add deliciously soft bumpers and a thin, purple skin to thy naked victim.

(This was entirely experimental. Bumpers made from a pool noodle cut in half. Purple padding is a thin yoga mat. This was an experiment, and you can skip the yoga mat step.)





Step 4 (optional): Place thy straps tenderly upon her new skin.

(I used spray adhesive to lock the yoga mat onto the board, but I wanted the edges to be well and truly attached.)





Step 5: Procure thy outer boards from the one-eyed axe man down by the river. Bolt thy outer shell onto the shield.

(I bought a cheap camping map from Big Giant Mega Corp. I used spray adhesive on the sides that will touch, let it dry for 2 minutes, and attached each foam “board.” Instead of a single piece of blue foam, I cut them into strips to make them join imperfectly like real boards might look over time and hard use.)





Step 6: Behold! Imperfect though it may be, thy construction is complete.

(I hit all the edges and face with a heat gun to help seal the pores. Do this outside or have excellent ventilation.

The gaps between “boards” are intentional-ish. I wanted to make the shield look old and used, like a family heirloom brought out when needed. All the remaining steps are artistic.)





Step 7: After years of honorable use, thy shield will bear the scars of battle across its wooden face.

(I used a wood burner to add wood grain and battle damage. Do this outside or in a sooopa ventilated area.)





(Closeup view.)



Step 8: Add thy favorite pigment so you will bear a thing of beauty into thy battle.

(I used outdoor latex paint as a primer. The color didn’t matter, but I think the gray actually made it look like old barn wood in the end.)





Step 9: Let thy shield soak up the power of the sun.





Step 10: Be thee safe in battle, and bring home many riches.

(I added paint and various stains. I might add more details later – like foam rivets or carvings. Closeups are following.)






(Closeups)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for Breakfast

Welcome to Salvania

Unto the Grove